Posted on November 4, 2016
Now that I stole your attention with the title, these aren’t really five reasons your movement “stinks”, but more of ways that you can improve your movement to move and feel that much better as a result! Here are the five most common mistakes we see with general movement. Follow each individual link for specifics on why that movement is a problem, how to recognize it, and what to do about it with exercises to help improve your movement!
- Bending forward with a flexed back
- Letting your knee fall in with squatting, stairs, running, jumping
- Not turning your glutes on when you’re standing
- Pressing/lifting objects with your shoulders shrugged up toward your ears
- Pulling objects all with your arms and without your shoulder blades
We hope these tips help! You don’t have to be perfect 100% of the time with these movements, but rather be more aware of when you’re moving in a way that may not be best and to have the ability to correct that movement. The more you work through the specific exercises and then try to apply them with your regular activities during your day, the more automatic they will become and the better you’ll feel with your movement!
Dr. Dane Happeny, PT, DPT
Doctor of Physical Therapy